THE SKILLS FOR WORK PROGRAMME
Skills for Work is a national programme aimed at providing training opportunities to help employees deal with the basic skills demands of the workplace. The initiative is funded by the Irish Government under the Department of Education and Skills, and delivered by the Education & Training Boards (ETB) across the country. The project is managed nationally by Dublin & Dún Laoghaire ETB.
A SKILLS FOR WORK COURSE
- A SFW programme may include a variety of subjects which support the educational needs of the employee.
- The programme is offered on company premises where possible, the local ETB Adult Education Centre, or an alternative convenient location.
- A SFW programme is designed and delivered in a flexible and adaptable way to meet the needs of the employer and employee.
- Programmes can vary in duration
- Sessions are usually 2 – 3 hours long and can be arranged for mornings, afternoons or evenings
- Participants may be released from work to participate in SFW programmes.
- Most offer free nationally recognised certification.
- There are no tuition fees.
WHAT ARE THE AIMS OF THE SKILLS FOR WORK PROGRAMME?
- Promote an ethos of lifelong learning in the workplace
- Contribute towards the creation of a well-educated and highly skilled workforce
- Raise the competency level of employees
- Develop initiatives to enhance employee’s communication and basic IT skills
- Enable employees to cope with frequent and ongoing changes in work practices
WHO CAN ACCESS THE SKILLS FOR WORK PROGRAMME?
- In the private sector
- Willing to promote the SFW Programme
- With employees who need to improve their core skills
- With a need to upskill their existing workforce
- Creating a learning environment for their employees
- Over 18 years of age and not in full-time second level education
- In part-time or full time employment
- With work skills needs
- With few, out-dated or no educational qualifications
- Willing to take part on a voluntary basis
- Have a desire to improve
- Have their employer’s support
SAMPLE OF COURSES
- Communication Skills
- Customer Care Skills
- Information Technology
- Safety in the Workplace
- Office Procedures
- Personal Development
- Culinary Skills
- Food and Nutrition
- Workplace Language Support
- Farming Support Programmes
- Many more……………………
Contact Lillian Buckley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 086-0487406