Calling All Cork Businesses with Star Quality!
Entries open on Monday November 12th for the Cork Business Association
Business of the Year Awards 2018
~ Two new award categories including the Champion of Cork Award announced ~
Enter for free online by midnight December 3rd in any of the 12 exciting and diverse business categories and you could be celebrating at the Gala Awards Night on Saturday 19th January 2018 with fellow stars of the Cork Business scene!
Cork Business Association (CBA) has launched the ‘Cork Business of the Year Awards 2018’, in partnership with awards sponsor JCD, event partner AIB and media partner The Irish Examiner, to recognise the outstanding contribution of businesses and individuals working diligently across varied sectors of business in Cork City and its environs.
Your business could be set for stardom in January 2019, as entrants not only have the chance to win individual award categories but they could also be named the overall ‘Cork Business of the Year.’
The 12 award categories for 2018 include:
- Best New Business in Cork, sponsored by LEO Cork City
- Open to all businesses that have been founded or are new to Cork since 1st January 2016. Entrants will be asked to explain their business and to demonstrate how they have translated a great idea into a viable and successful business venture. They will also be asked to outline their plans for the future.
- Best Cork Family Business
- Open to all family owned and run businesses in the greater Cork city area. Your business must be managed by family members and you must be able to demonstrate the involvement of at least two generations of family members who are working in the business.
- Best Cork Hotel, sponsored by Kings Laundry
- The Best Hotel award acknowledges excellence in service and accommodation. Entrants will demonstrate high class, flawless service in a comfortable, quality establishment, while both meeting and exceeding guest expectations, and how they have helped to promote Cork as a destination nationally and internationally.
- Best Cork Restaurant, sponsored by The English Market
- The best Restaurant award acknowledges excellence in quality, service, price and ambiance. Entrants will demonstrate high standards in food quality, cost, efficiency, customer service, imagination, attention to detail, marketing and how well the establishment functions as a business.
- Best Cork Café, sponsored by The English Market
- The best Café award will recognise excellence in customer service, business innovation, premises ambiance and atmosphere. Entrants will demonstrate high standards in food quality, cost, efficiency, imagination, attention to detail, marketing and how they have raised the profile of their business in this ever increasingly competitive sector.
- Best Cork VFI Pub, sponsored by Vintners Federation Cork
- The award for Best Cork Pub will be awarded to the pub that, in the opinion of the judges, demonstrates ‘best in class’ in the areas of innovation, creativity, ambiance, operational excellence and customer service. Open to VFI Members only.
- Best Cork Retail Business, sponsored by Cork City Council
- The best Cork Retail Business will be awarded to the business that routinely strives for the highest standards across a number of key metrics such as customer service, value, visual merchandising, premises maintenance, marketing, and adaptability. High standards are particularly important given the very severe challenges currently facing Ireland’s retail industry. It is critical that the retail industry plays its part in consistently improving its offering to attract more customers, keep retail workers in jobs and simultaneously keep Cork city centre vibrant which in turn will re-engage citizens and customers alike.
- Best Professional Services Business, sponsored by ETC – the events, tourism and communications agency.
- This category is open to all businesses that provide a professional business service in the greater Cork city area. They include banking, legal, accounting, HR, recruitment, PR, marketing, architects, financial advisers, engineers, consultants, training providers, strategic advice etc. They can be any organisation or profession that offers customised, knowledge-based services to clients. Entrants must be able to explain what their professional business service is and demonstrate their commitment to customer service excellence within their particular service provided.
- Best Tourism Art Event, sponsored by IHF Cork
- This award is designed to recognise and reward an organisation, attraction, business or event that has excelled in tourism, contributing to growing tourist numbers and /or the visitor experience in Cork.
- Cork Business of the Year, medium category, sponsored by JCD and the Irish Examiner
- This award honours and acknowledges a business that has contributed or promoted the enhancement of the commercial, cultural, or civic life in Cork city. This award is open to all medium sized businesses irrespective of Category.
- Cork Business of the Year, large category, sponsored by JCD and the Irish Examiner
- This award honours and acknowledges a business that has contributed or promoted the enhancement of the commercial, cultural, or civic life in Cork city. This award is open to all large businesses irrespective of Category.
- The Champion of Cork Award
- This year we are very excited to announce the introduction of a brand new category to the Cork Business of the Year Awards, ‘The Champion of Cork Award.’ This award was created to praise, honour and recognise a Corkonian whom we believe has made a real difference to Cork and its people, be it through driving business, their contribution to the arts, their charitable work, their efforts in developing our city or their passion and drive for promoting all things Cork.
The Cork Business Association is celebrating 61 years in business this year, and the organisation’s Business of the Year Awards are always a highlight for Cork businesses. Speaking about the 2018 awards, Chief Executive of Cork Business Association Lawrence Owens said: “The Cork Business of the Year Awards have grown year on year and are certainly the highlight of Cork Business Association’s calendar. Through these awards, along with our sponsors and partners, the CBA annually seeks to recognise the hard work and good business acumen demonstrated by businesses in Cork.
“Last year we recognised some highly notable achievements, with CIT being named Cork Business of the Year 2017 – Large Category; Cork Convention Bureau winning Cork Business of the Year 2017 – Medium Category; and Republic of Work being named Best New Cork Business 2017. This year we are delighted to announce the separation of the Best Cork Restaurant and Café awards and the addition of an entirely new category, The Champion of Cork Award, which will honour the contribution of a key individual to business development within the city.
“We very much look forward to receiving this year’s submissions and would like to encourage all businesses located within the greater Cork city area to consider entering these prestigious awards.
“The benefits of being part of the awards process are many, including association with the awards, public recognition for your hard work, plus marketing and networking opportunities. We would also like to sincerely thank all of our sponsors, in particular our awards sponsor JCD, event partner AIB, and media partner The Irish Examiner.”
To enter the Cork Business of the Year Awards 2018, your business must be based in the greater Cork city area.
Nominations open on Monday November 12th and entries for all award categories which are FREE to enter should be completed online at http://corkbusiness.ie/cba-cork-business-of-the-year-awards-2018/ following a simple 3 step process no later than midnight December 3rd 2018. An experienced panel of leading business executives will provide independent judging with shortlisting commencing on Monday December 10th.
The awards ceremony, which is a favourite event on Cork’s glittering social calendar, will take place at a Black Tie dinner in the Clayton Hotel, Silver Springs on Saturday 19th January 2019.
Tickets are competitively priced at €110 or €1,000 for a table of 10 (plus booking fee) and are available to purchase through Eventbrite or direct from the CBA office by calling (021) 427 8295. Tickets include a pre-dinner drinks reception, a sumptuous 3-course meal; wine, awards presentations, spot prizes and stellar live entertainment.
For more information on Cork Business Association and the 2017 Cork Business of the Year Awards including full detail of categories and how to enter see http://corkbusiness.ie/cba-cork-business-of-the-year-awards-2018/
For media enquiries or to arrange an interview with CBA Chief Executive Lawrence Owens
Niamh Murphy ETC