Spike Island lends itself to highlighting just how isolating life can be for people who are homeless or in danger of falling into homelessness.
Shine A Light Night 2018 is only five weeks away with the Business Leaders Sleep Out this year being staged on Spike Island. The spectacular Cork Harbour setting, Europe’s Leading Tourist Attraction last year, is supporting Focus Ireland’s fight against homelessness on October 12, and the people of Cork can take part too.
The Focus Ireland organised evening was held in the AIB on South Mall on the 6th September . Speakers at the event included Ger Spillane, Regional Manager Focus Ireland, John Crotty , Spike Island Manager with the evening mcc’d by Dick White, Focus Ireland.
Speaking on the night, Focus Ireland Regional Manager Ger Spillane stated “Focus Ireland is delighted that the Business Community of Cork is coming together for one night to help raise €1 million to reach more families, who need their help, more than ever before. By sleeping out for one night, you can help change the life of a man, woman or child experiencing homelessness locally.”
Cork Shine a Light Night participants will be transported from Cobh to Spike Island on the night of the 12th. John Crotty, Manager of Spike Island, is full of enthusiasm for the event and stated “I feel that our location lends itself to highlighting just how isolating life can be for people who are homeless or in danger of falling into homelessness”
The evening presented participating business people an opportunity to be briefed on the work of Focus Ireland and to be updated on Shine a Light. Dick White of Focus Ireland explained “ Shine a Light builds awareness of the work we do, highlights the issue of homelessness and generates an income stream to deliver our services. To do this we need the continued backing of Cork people and business who have already been hugely supportive. Crucially 89 cent of every 1 euro we spend goes directly back into the services we deliver. ”
The 2017 Shine A Light Night received huge support from the local community, it allowed Focus Ireland to provide a range of housing, educational support and Advice and Information Services.
Some key Focus Ireland Cork achievements in 2017 included:
- Focus Ireland supported 191 men and women with Advice and Information Services locally in Cork in 2017.
- The organisation now provides 180 homes for men, women and children across the South-West and Mid-West of the country.
- Seven young people who have progressed from Focus Ireland Youth Education programmes in Cork will commence third level at UCC and CIT next month.
There are three ways to take part in Shine A Light Night 2018.
- The Business Leaders event is being held on Spike Island on Friday, October 12.
- You can also get your team together and organise Shine A Light at Work by hosting a workplace Sleep Out, to raise awareness and generate funds for essential local Focus Ireland services.
- Shine A Light in the Community gives the option to the wider community to organise an event in your local park, club, town or village.
Shine a Light Night is a fully supported Focus Ireland event. All participants will receive fundriaisng support, materials and advice. To register today or for further information please contact Dick White (firstname.lastname@example.org or 086 8223690), or register on Focusireland.ie/shinealight .