While many people know these facts about Cork, here are a few things you may not be aware of:
- Cork has the second deepest natural harbour in the World
- Cork is the starting point of the Wild Atlantic Way the largest defined coastal tourist route in the World at 2,500Km long
- George Boole , whose Boolean Logic acts as the basis for modern computing, was the first Professor of Mathematics at University College Cork. The 200th anniversary of his birth is being celebrated in 2015 with a series of events to mark the occasion.
- The famed English Market is one of the oldest covered municipal markets of its kind in the world, having being in existence since 1788. It offers an amazing array of locally produced foods which are supplied to locals and visitors alike, and these products are used in many excellent local restaurants, all contributing to the thriving food culture in Cork.
- Viagra was first commercially produced in Cork
- Cork is home to the oldest yacht club in the world- the RCYC in Crosshaven, which dates its origins back to 1720, and hosts the internationally renowned “Cork Week” regatta every 2 years
- Cork is home to one of the leading global “clusters” of pharmaceutical production.
- Coder Dojo originated in Cork